Cloud Computing Discussion
On Nov. 17, the Hawaii Defense Alliance, DBEDT and the High-Tech Development Corp. hosted its Cloud Computing Discussion where panelists and program members streamed live from the Entrepreneurs’ Sandbox for a virtual audience.
The discussion began with a presentation from Dr. Martin Lindsey, U.S. Indo-Pacific Command (USINDOPACOM) J8, Directorate of Requirements and Resources, who joined by phone to set the scene and share DOD’s modernization priorities and the perspective of cloud computing from USINDOPACOM.
In the first panel, moderator Ed Barnabas, PACRIM Principal, Booz Allen Hamilton discussed the state of cloud today and where it is headed in the future. Panelists included:
- Daniel Liu, Public Sector, State & Local Government Google
- James Pierce, Technology Zone Leader, IBM
- Jim Takatsuka, Strategic Account Director, Microsoft
- Bob Bunting, Master Principle Enterprise Cloud Architect, Oracle
The second panel highlighted perspectives from the Department of Defense, Industry and State. Moderated by MG Suzy Vares-Lum (ret), panelists discussed disruptions within their sector, how cloud is being used to modernize responses now and in the future, and how Hawaii benefits from having local commercial cloud presence. Panelists included:
- BG Jacqueline Brown, Director for Command, Control, Communications & Cyber, USINDOPACOM J6
- Rosemary Peh, Director of Enterprise, Architecture & Planning, HECO
- Mark Troske, Chief Technology Officer, First Hawaiian Bank
- Peter Lewis, Chief Information Security Officer, Hawaii Pacific Health
- Garret Yoshimi, Vice President for Information Technology & Chief Information Officer, University of Hawaii
- Todd Ogasawara, Director of IT Operations, Hawaii Office of Enterprise Technology